A coilover is a shock-absorbing device, with a coil spring in the upper part, wrapping a damper, or rather a rod.
In other words, it’s a screw suspension with the ability to adjust the height and stiffness of the coil spring without having to dismantle the coilover. The coil spring, located at the top of the rod, moves against the damper itself and makes it harder or softer, depending on driver requirements.
A List of High-Functional Coilovers for WRX
Best Coilovers Shocks for Subaru
Best coilover Struts Shock Absorbers
Best Sport Shock for WRX
|Koni 8010 1055Sport||
Rev9 Coilovers for WRX
Best Coilovers with the Hydraulic Bump Stopper
Best Coilovers for WRX with Monotube dampers
Best budget high-quality coilovers
|BC Racing F-02-BR||
Best Coilovers Kit for WRX
Moreover, not only the suspension stiffness but also the clearance height (ground clearance) can be effectively changed with the help of coilovers1, depending on your needs. The best part is that you get all these suspension changes without disassembling, with the same shock absorbers.
Now let’s take a look at some of the best affordable coilover kits for Subaru WRX.
Review of Top-Rated Coilovers for WRX
- Tein VSSB0-D1SS4
(Best coilovers for WRX)
- Koni 8010 1055Sport
(Best 2002 WRX coilovers)
- ZYauto EW53@CO-SUBGDB-G-NA4
(Best Coilovers for Subaru Impreza WRX 2002-2007)
- JDMSPEED F034-SBRD
(Best 2004 WRX coilovers)
- Rev9 R9-HS2-039
(Top Coilovers for 2011 WRX)
- Subaru 80230-AF008
(Best Subaru Coilovers for 2015+ WRX)
- BC Racing F-02-07-BR
(Best 02-05 WRX/STI Coilovers)
- KW 10245018
(Best Suspension Coilover Kit for WRX)
Whether your car is new or not, this coilover set can improve your suspension. The damping characteristics of these Maxpeedingrods coilovers are developed and tested individually for each vehicle in order to use the most of its suspension peculiarities. The engineers continue to adjust and test the shocks until convinced they have achieved optimum handling and comfort.
As you may know, conveyor production involves the economy, so factory suspensions often have to compromise between price and quality. But you don’t have to save on quality – Maxpeedingrods uses only advanced technologies and the best materials are used to manufacture durable shock absorbers. Their production is chosen when the quality and accuracy are higher than everything.
Adjustable height. All Maxpeedingrods coilovers originally come factory-preset but can be adjusted for rigidity. This means you can affect the vehicle’s behavior according to your preferences in comfort and handling. Or let them adjust themselves!
Whatever your preferences and challenges, for any vehicle and any road – Maxpeedingrods can offer a quality and durable solution. Designed for standard or understated springs. The choice is up to you!
- 2 piece front + 2 pieces rear
- Fitment – Subaru Impreza WRX 2002-2007 GDA GDB (WRX Wagon, 2.5RS Models) / Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2004 GDA GDB
- Pillow ball top mount
- Material – 6063 aluminum with T6
- Adjustable height – 390-490 mm (front), 430-580 mm (rear).
- Spring rate Front: 9kg/mm (504 lbs/in)
- Spring rate Rear: 7kg/mm (392 lbs/in)
- Dimensions – 24.8″ x 20.5″ x 8.7″
- Weight – 55.5 lbs
- Non Adjustable Damper
- No instruction included
- Adjustable height (depending on weather conditions, wheels/rims)
- Adjustable camber plate
- Reduced noise while tuning
- Rubber boots for protection and cleanness
- Increased stiffness
- Excellent strength
- Lower weight
- Improved comfort, steering, and response
- Easy installation
- Perfect for any track, drift, speed, and daily driving.
- 2-year warranty
- Low price
These affordable coilover struts come from a reliable seller on Amazon (since 2016). JDMSPEED produces high-quality coilovers and can answer any questions you have about their coils. They perfectly do their job of lowering the car, reducing wheel travel, and tightening the suspension.
They fit well and can be easily installed on your 02-07 Impreza WRX2. Great quality for the price. So have no worries and get these to improve your ride.
- 2 piece front + 2 pieces rear
- Weight – 57.3 lbs
- Spring rate Front: 8kg
- Spring rate Rear: 6kg
- Dimensions – 23.6″ x 18.5″ x 6.7″
- Hardware included
- Material – 6063 aluminum with T6
- Non-adjustable damper
- 1-year warranty
- Adjustable height
- Integrated aluminum top mounts
- Increased handling performance
- Independently adjustable lower mount allows
- Fine-tuning of a vehicle’s height without sacrificing shock travel
- Easy installation (provided you have the right tools)
These rear shocks come from the Netherlands. The Koni Sport shocks3 (come in two) are designed and tested individually on each car model to provide unmatchable results in improving roughness damping, body control, steering, and reducing rolls. They protect your suspension and increase its power capacity, allowing individual changes in suspension stiffness.
Koni Sport shocks use a two-pipe hydraulic and two-pipe gas-hydraulic design, with rare exceptions when the use of a single-pipe shock absorber is required by a special feature of the vehicle suspension. The presence of gas support in the two-pipe shock absorber does not affect its stiffness and is determined by technical necessity.
That’s why Koni’s series of shock absorbers are different in terms of the solution, while the design of Special, Sport and FSD series can be identical for one car model. Stiffness of shock absorbers of different series is determined by adjusting valve systems of shock absorber rebound and compression, while durability is determined by the quality of design, materials, and manufacturing.
Single-tube shock absorbers, which are used by many other manufacturers, have some adjustment limitations due to their designs, and therefore, their compression rigidity is high. This gives certain advantages on an even surface, but on the roughness, the traction worsens and comfort deteriorates.
Such shock absorbers are more “abutting” against the bumpiness of the surface than “swallowing” them.
Koni Sport shocks retain their traction on uneven surfaces, providing a sufficient level of comfort thanks to a wide range of compression and rebound characteristics and, in particular, a high ratio of compression and rebound stiffness (compression stiffness is much lower than rebound stiffness).
Even with the Koni Sport shock absorber’s more stiff rebound setting by the driver, the compression rigidity changes only slightly, preserving the suspension’s ability to operate on the uneven ground during dynamic driving.
When passing concave irregularities in the surface (cracks, holes, joints), high rebound stiffness of the Koni Sport shocks does not allow the compressed spring to extend the wheel into the pit – the vehicle “floats” over it. A relatively soft compression helps to “swallow” convex irregularities – the shock absorber creates resistance but allows the suspension to compress.
Due to such settings, Koni Sport shock absorbers improve controllability and damping, and at the same time, often appearing more comfortable than the usual suspension for dynamic driving.
- Rear shock absorbers
- Sport Series
- 8010-1055S port
- Construction – two-pipe hydraulic
- Adjustment type – external rigidity adjustment
- Dimensions – 29.2″ x 4.1″ x 3.6″
- Weight – 5.5 lbs
- Improves roughness damping and enhances controllability and safety.
- Improves suspension (even of a new vehicle).
- Reasonable ride quality
- Adjustable rigidity (without removing the shocks from the car)
- High comfort and control
- Re-buildable for custom vehicle setups
- Fits all lowering springs
- Fine-tuned and quality-controlled during manufacture.
- Additional features to change stiffness.
- Durability and longevity
- Lifetime warranty
Are you looking for coilovers that will not make you spend a fortune? Rev9 affordable coilovers are considered one of the best on the market to provide you with features that can’t be found in other coilovers in the same price range. The kit includes top hats and 32-way adjustable dampers with height-adjustable shocks.
These Rev9 coilovers are great, especially for drivers who want to replace all of their factory shocks with new ones and have a height-adjustable coilover suspension.
These Rev9 coils are all about performance and comfort, designed for those who daily drive their cars to provide the perfect mix. Rev9 test each of their coil kits and compress their springs over 600,000 times (!) to make sure their durability is worthy. The tests show the distortion rate is only 0.04%, which means these products are built to last.
Independent spring tension and ride height settings allow stiffness and ride height separate adjusting.
- 8kg front and 8kg rear springs
- Height adjustment range of about 1″ drop from max height to about 3″ maximum drop
- Includes a full set of 4 coilovers
- 1-year warranty
- Fitment – 08,09,10,11,12,13,14 Subaru Impreza/WRX (excl. WRX STI)
- No installation instructions
- Full-length adjustability
- Great performance
- Easy installation (with right tools)
- Professional installation recommended
- Front camber plates included
- 32-way adjustable dampers (soft to firm)
- Height-adjustable shocks
- Camber Plate with Pillow Ball
- Standard top mount
These high-quality coilovers are made of high-tensile steel SAE9254 (tensile strength 200kgf/mm2 or higher) and cold-formed for ultimate resistance to sagging and excellent stability. Flex A has adopted the new wrought aluminum spring seats and low-friction hard-resin thrust washers.
With these coilovers, no matter how big is the bump, the impact gets absorbed and converted to thermal energy inside the shock absorber, minimizing the shock and eliminating rebound force. Flex A comes with the “Hydraulic Bump Stopper (H.B.S.)” feature, tested in the world’s harshest motorsports including World Rally Championship and European Rally Championship.
The efficiency of this impact-absorbing technology is impressive!
There’s no need to change the damper stroke length or/and spring pre-load – FLEX A’s full-length ride height adjustment system allows ride height adjustment by setting the case length. Thus, when the height is adjusted, the change in ride quality is kept minimal.
Apart from keeping the low-down appearance and ride comfort balanced, you also have more setting choices for sport driving!
- 4 shock absorbers
- 4 springs
- Height adjustment -0.6″ to -2.9″ (front), -0.7″ to -2.1″ (rear)
- Fitment 2015-Up Subaru WRX (VAG) WRX 4DR/2015-Up Subaru WRX (VAF) STI 4DR
- Complete kit with upper mount
- Weight – 60 lbs
- Sleek green finish
- Smooth big impact absorption
- High durability and reliability
- Comfortable ride
- Damping force adjustment system
- Full-length ride height adjustment
- Twin-tube structure
- Low resiliency
- Sufficient stroke
- 16-level damping force adjustment
- Hydraulic Bump Stopper (H.B.S.)
- Tested in World Rally Championship and European Rally Championship
Monotube dampers provide more accurate and stable control and adjustment of dampening. Lower ride height and the center of gravity gives a more steady ride. You can adjust your vehicle’s suspension and improve overall performance with no problems using these elite coilovers. HKS (Japan) offers a complete line of coilover suspension systems for everyone.
The HKS Hipermax IV line is their top tier setup, tuned and designed for comfortable street performance and racing. With 35 years of GT, drifting, and drag racing, HKS provides the cutting edge in suspension technology.
Using a special coating provides 5 times better durability over standard galvanizing. This prevents build-up around the threads of the adjustment areas allowing for easier height adjustment. The MAX IV has increased the cylinder shaft size to have a firm damping even at a little stroke range because of the optimized oil pressure characteristic.
The manufacturer has mainly adopted this to the rear damper that can have better driving experience.
- Single-tube structure
- Material – aluminum
- Stainless lock nut & ride height adjuster
- PNE Coating
- Special oil
- Shock-body length adjustable
- Made in Japan
- Perfect for daily street drive
- Stylish and powerful coils
- Comfortable low-down ride
- Dust boot for stone protection
- Non-electrolysis Nickel-plated shock bodies
- Improved anti-rust & corrosion characteristics
- 30 levels of dampening adjustment
- 2-way adjustable front pillow ball mount
The BR series coilovers are produced from SAE9254 high-strength cold wound steel. They feature a large 46 mm diameter piston in a 53 mm diameter damper body to maximize oil capacity. As the damper unit operates the oil contained within heats up. The viscosity of oil changes as the temperature varies, which can lead to the unit’s damping characteristic changes.
The company’s main priority is the adjustable suspension for streets and motor racing. Their products are manufactured at a large factory producing screw pendants and components. By the way, the same factory produces quite famous premium suspensions.
Due to the fact that BC Racing products are manufactured at a large factory with a wide range of coilovers, prices are quite competitive, and the quality is very high. All BC Racing suspension components are manufactured on high precision, modern equipment and assembled manually, going through many stages of quality control.
In contrast to some of the medium/premium segment, BC Racing supplies fully customizable coilovers, the so-called “full-tap” construction, as well as pre-tensioning adjustments on the springs, compression stiffness and shock absorber rebound, upper supports with adjustable angle of collapse.
BC Racing’s suspension mounting kits completely replace the standard suspension, including all braces, brake brackets, ABS sensor mounting brackets, etc. The single-pipe design and larger shock absorber diameter not only allows you to work out the irregularities with high quality while maintaining clear and collected characteristics but also have a greater safety factor.
BC Racing only uses high-quality oil with its coilovers. The engineers go that extra mile to maximize performance and build their BR range with a large 53mm diameter damper body. This increases the capacity of the unit and the volume of oil contained, which, in turn, reduces the top temperature, significantly improving damper performance.
Pressurized nitrogen also adds an extra element of effective spring rate to the damper unit. Coilovers use a locking collar to prevent the bottom mount from becoming loose.
BC Racing dampers use a sophisticated shim stack design to consistently control the compression and rebound speed of the damper rod even in the harshest conditions.
- Single-tube design
- Aluminum top plates
- Weight – 50 lbs
- Dimensions – 30″ x 6″ x 6″
- Single wrench adjustment
- Front camber plates included
- 1-year warranty
- 30-way adjustable damping
- Adjustable spring platform
- Adjust compression/rebound 2-axis bushings
- Perfect fit
- Ride comfort
- Height adjustment via bottom mount
- Dust boot for damper seal protection
These coilovers are perfect for drivers who prefer to lower their vehicles while counting on sporty driving, comfort, and safety, which is possible due to the extensive driving tests of KW experts who have preset the dampers for the ultimate balance and performance.
With the KW coilovers4 you will achieve ultimate lowering in the tested adjustment range. Even after many years, you can quickly and effortlessly adjust the height due to the dirt-resistant trapezoid thread and composite collar. Lowering at the front axle is made using a one-piece composite height adjuster.
The same goes for the rear axle (unless the car has a separate spring and shock absorber). The supplied rear height adjuster sits either above or below the rear spring.
The KW coilover inox-line gives the sporty driver its harmonic basic setup. These kits are developed for each specific vehicle with a unique damper setup and spring rate to increase driving comfort with an optimal balance of sportiness and practicality. KW uses only its own resources, high-quality components, and the best damper technologies.
With the KW coilovers, rolling motions of the body are reduced during compression, and you simply enjoy sportier handling while driving.
- Material – stainless steel
- Weight – 46.3 lbs
- Dimensions – 30″ x 18″ x 6″
- Length – 30″
- Width – 18″
- Height – 6.”
- Individually height adjustable
- Optimal performance
- Factory pre-adjusted
- Excellent driving dynamics
- Sporty and comfortable dampening technology
- Inox line stainless steel technology
- Lifetime warranty
- High-quality components for durability
- German TUV-tested lowering range
Best Coilovers for WRX – Buyer’s Guide
As you know, regular rod is a spring with a shock absorber inside, initially – not an adjustable suspension. That is, the lower support in the rod, which firmly holds the spring, as well as the lower mount (which is attached to the suspension), is absolutely non-adjustable design.
All you can do manually to tune such an inseparable suspension is to trim the coils on the spring, so the shock absorber rod will drop down and the car will be lower, which is what hundreds of “folk” tuners actually do – probably everyone has seen lowriders.
But this kind of tuning makes the traction on the road much worse, whoever says what, because you significantly worsen suspension characteristics, the struts are simply not designed for that!
But what do you do if you’re itching for suspension? Consider coilovers.
A coilover comes with a fully adjustable damper (not cast), which means you don’t have to cut the coils on the shock absorber spring. All you have to do is unscrew the lower support and move it down by the thread that is on the body. Thus, the spring will move down, which will lower your car without any “barbaric intervention”, i.e. spring trimming.
Different Coilover Types
There are two ways of coilover installation – keeping native shocks or installing a complete coilover kit.
The first option is to modify the installed shock absorbers by installing a screw thread with a spring on them. The disadvantage of this method is that a regular shock absorber is not designed to work in different extreme positions, so instead of coilovers, you risk to damage the shock absorber and get quite mediocre characteristics and poor handling.
The second option is to install a factory-made coilover kit with a full replacement of stock shock absorbers. In this case, the manufacturer considers all the nuances, and the screw thread is applied to the shock absorber body itself. Off-the-shelf coilovers are more convenient and practical, they do not require any manipulation, time or money.
The advantage here is that the rod is already designed for different load ranges, and its service life is much longer.
Working Principle and Design
The base of the adjustable suspension is a conventional shock absorber rod. The only difference is that it has different characteristics, which allows operating in a wide range (from the lightest (rebound) to the most rigid (compression). The rod body is threaded, or a special cover, which already has it, is put on. At the bottom, there is a stop, which can move up and down.
The spring is between the two stops. The lower position can be changed. The upper part of the adjustable suspension lever has a special mounting. Its lower part is screwed on to the thread by screwing it in so that it can move up or down freely.
The main advantage of coilovers is the possibility to adjust the height without interfering with suspensions and use with conventional shock absorber rods.
How low can I lower my car with a coilover?
It is hardly possible to give an exact number, everything depends on the specific vehicle and its clearance. Coilovers often have an understatement of about 20 mm at the lowest point and the adjustment range varies between 20 and 100 mm.
Note that coilovers are not always about lowering cars down – there are those which increase the clearance of their cars for certain purposes and goals with the help of screw suspension.
Besides types, there are two lines of coilovers. Each of them is responsible for making its own individual changes:
- Street. The suspension gets increased stiffness, but less swinging, hanging and does not roll on corners. The difference in car behavior on corners, turns, and other maneuvers become especially noticeable with maximum adjustment – there is a tangible sporting “temperament.”
- Track. These products provide stability on the road, making the suspension even more assembled and harder. Even with the softest settings, it responds well to the steering and operates steadily.
Depending on the adjustment possibilities, the following types are also distinguished:
- Standard shock absorbers with threaded support. These are the types of coilovers that are in the highest demand. From a technical point of view, they are suitable for nothing but a clearance change. The advantage is the low cost. Disadvantage – can’t change the suspension stiffness.
- Simple coilovers with the stiffness change function. The cost is a little higher than the first type, but it can be installed on any car. The stroke of the rod directly depends on the set clearance. The advantage is that they are suitable for different cars. The disadvantage is that they decrease controllability.
- Full-tap coilovers (DGR) that provide adjustment of ground clearance, suspension stiffness, and spring preload. Manufacturers often equip such rods with support bearings to adjust the wheel alignment. The advantage is the flexible adjustment of the suspension. The disadvantage is that they are difficult to install and expensive.
- Professional coilovers with high and low-speed compression capability are practically not used by auto enthusiasts because of the high cost and inexpediency of installation.
Pros and Cons of Coilovers
- Simple design, fast installation;
- Quick increase/decrease of ground clearance without dismantling the suspension;
- Shock absorber stiffness adjustment for any purpose;
- Acceptable cost and no need to produce high-tech, expensive suspension tuning;
- Separate installation on OEM shock absorbers;
- Versatility. Coilovers can be installed on almost any car.
- Price is twice as high as quality shock absorbers from well-known manufacturers;
- Not always possible to install over old rods;
- Certain skills and time are needed for adjustment.
- The difference in adjustment of two coilovers can lead to unbalance and further worsen the driving characteristics;
- Once the coilover is adjusted, the wheel alignment is often required.
As you can see, there’s nothing complicated, and under the “fancy” word “coilover” there’s an ordinary spring shock absorber with adjustment capability. Now that you know what coilovers are, we think you can easily decide for yourself whether to install them.
In this way, with a well-founded installation and clever adjustment, the screw suspension on coilovers makes driving more comfortable, easier and more confident, as well as giving it the necessary sporty look. The main thing is to choose the right part for the installation, not to save on quality, and ensure that the part’s operation does not actually degrade the performance of the vehicle.
Oh yeah, and don’t rebuild on stock STI shocks, it’s a waste of money.
Also, articles below might be useful for you as well: