A coilover is a shock-absorbing device with a coil spring in the upper part that wraps around a damper, or rather, a rod.
In other words, it’s a screw suspension with the ability to adjust the height and stiffness of the coil spring without having to dismantle the coilover. The coil spring, located at the top of the rod, moves against the damper itself and makes it harder or softer, depending on driver requirements.
A List of Highly Functional Coilovers for WRX
Best Coilover Shocks for Subaru
Best Coilover Struts/Shock Absorbers
Best Sport Shocks for WRX
|Koni 8010 1055Sport||
Rev9 Coilovers for WRX
Best Coilovers with Hydraulic Bump Stopper
Best Coilovers for WRX with Monotube Dampers
Best Budget High-Quality Coilovers
|BC Racing F-02-BR||
Best Coilover Kit for WRX
Not only can the suspension stiffness be effectively changed with the help of coilovers but also the clearance height (ground clearance)1, depending on your needs. The best part is that you get all these suspension changes with the same shock absorbers without disassembling them.
Now let’s take a look at some of the best affordable coilover kits for Subaru WRX.
Review of Top-Rated Coilovers for WRX
- Tein VSSB0-D1SS4
(Best Coilovers for WRX)
- Koni 8010 1055Sport
(Best 2002 WRX Coilovers)
- ZYauto EW53@CO-SUBGDB-G-NA4
(Best Coilovers for Subaru Impreza WRX 2002-2007)
- JDMSPEED F034-SBRD
(Best 2004 WRX Coilovers)
- Rev9 R9-HS2-039
(Top Coilovers for 2011 WRX)
- Subaru 80230-AF008
(Best Subaru Coilovers for 2015+ WRX)
- BC Racing F-02-07-BR
(Best 02-05 WRX/STI Coilovers)
- KW 10245018
(Best Suspension Coilover Kit for WRX)
Whether your car is new or not, this coilover set can improve your suspension. The damping characteristics of these MaXpeedingRods coilovers are developed and tested individually for each vehicle in order to make the most use of its suspension peculiarities. The engineers continue to adjust and test the shocks until they are convinced they have achieved optimum handling and comfort.
As you may know, conveyor production involves the economy, so factory suspensions often have to compromise between price and quality. But you don’t have to skimp on quality – MaXpeedingRods uses only advanced technologies and the best materials to manufacture durable shock absorbers. Their production is chosen when the quality and accuracy beat every other factor.
Adjustable height: all MaXpeedingRods coilovers come factory-preset but can be adjusted for rigidity. This means you can affect the vehicle’s behavior according to your preferences in comfort and handling. Or, let them adjust themselves!
Whatever your preferences and challenges, MaXpeedingRods can offer a quality, durable solution for any vehicle and any road. Designed for standard or understated springs, the choice is yours!
- 2 front + 2 rear
- Fitment – Subaru Impreza WRX 2002-2007 GDA GDB (WRX Wagon, 2.5RS Models) / Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2004 GDA GDB
- Pillow ball top mount
- Material – 6063 T6 aluminum
- Adjustable height – 390-490 mm (front), 430-580 mm (rear)
- Front spring rate: 9 kg/mm (504 lbs/in)
- Rear spring rate: 7 kg/mm (392 lbs/in)
- Dimensions – 24.8″ x 20.5″ x 8.7″
- Weight – 55.5 lbs
- Non-adjustable damper
- No instructions included
- Adjustable height (depending on weather conditions, wheels/rims)
- Adjustable camber plate
- Reduced noise while tuning
- Rubber boots for protection and cleanness
- Increased stiffness
- Excellent strength
- Lower weight
- Improved comfort, steering, and response
- Easy installation
- Perfect for any track, drift, and speed or daily driving
- 2-year warranty
- Low price
These affordable coilover struts come from a reliable seller on Amazon (since 2016). JDMSPEED produces high-quality coilovers and can answer any questions you have about their coils. They do their job perfectly of lowering the car, reducing wheel travel, and tightening the suspension.
They fit well and can be easily installed on your 02-07 Impreza WRX2 and offer great quality for the price. So, have no worries and get these to improve your ride.
- 2 front + 2 rear
- Weight – 57.3 lbs
- Front spring rate: 8 kg
- Rear spring rate: 6 kg
- Dimensions – 23.6″ x 18.5″ x 6.7″
- Hardware included
- Material – 6063 T6 aluminum
- Non-adjustable damper
- 1-year warranty
- Adjustable height
- Integrated aluminum top mounts
- Increased handling performance
- Independently adjustable lower mount
- Allows for fine tuning of a vehicle’s height without sacrificing shock travel
- Easy installation (provided you have the right tools)
These rear shocks come from the Netherlands. Koni Sport shocks3 (they come in twos) are designed and tested individually on each car model to provide unmatchable results in improving roughness damping, body control, steering, and reducing rolls. They protect your suspension and increase its power capacity, allowing individual changes in suspension stiffness.
Koni Sport shocks use a two-pipe hydraulic and two-pipe gas-hydraulic design, with rare exceptions when the use of a single-pipe shock absorber is required by a special feature of the vehicle suspension. The presence of gas support in the two-pipe shock absorber does not affect its stiffness and is determined by technical necessity.
Koni’s shock absorbers offer variable solutions while the design of the Special, Sport and FSD series can be identical for one car model. The stiffness of different series of shock absorbers is determined by adjusting valve systems of shock absorber rebound and compression, while durability is determined by the quality of design, materials, and manufacturing.
Single-tube shock absorbers, which are used by many other manufacturers, have some adjustment limitations due to their designs and, therefore, their compression rigidity is high. This gives certain advantages on an even surface, but on the roughness, the traction worsens and comfort deteriorates.
Such shock absorbers are more “abutting” against the bumpiness of the surface rather than “swallowing” it.
Koni Sport shocks retain their traction on uneven surfaces, providing a sufficient level of comfort thanks to a wide range of compression and rebound characteristics and, in particular, a high ratio of compression and rebound stiffness (compression stiffness is much lower than rebound stiffness).
Even when Koni Sport shock absorbers are set to a stiffer rebound setting by the driver, the compression rigidity changes only slightly, preserving the suspension’s ability to operate on uneven ground during dynamic driving.
When passing concave irregularities in the surface (cracks, holes, joints), the compressed spring of the high rebound stiffness setting of the Koni Sport shocks does not allow the wheel to drop down into the pit – the vehicle essentially “floats” over it.
A relatively soft compression helps to “swallow” convex irregularities – the shock absorber creates resistance but allows the suspension to compress.
Due to such settings, Koni Sport shock absorbers improve controllability and damping, and at the same time, often appear more comfortable than the usual suspension for dynamic driving.
- Rear shock absorbers
- Sport Series
- 8010-1055S port
- Construction – two-pipe hydraulic
- Adjustment type – external rigidity adjustment
- Dimensions – 29.2″ x 4.1″ x 3.6″
- Weight – 5.5 lbs
- Improves roughness damping and enhances controllability and safety
- Improves suspension (even of a new vehicle).
- Reasonable ride quality
- Adjustable rigidity (without removing the shocks from the car)
- High comfort and control
- Rebuildable for custom vehicle setups
- Fits all lowering springs
- Fine-tuned and quality-controlled during manufacturing
- Additional features to change stiffness
- Durability and longevity
- Lifetime warranty
Are you looking for coilovers that will not make you spend a fortune? Rev9 affordable coilovers are considered one of the best on the market to provide you with features that can’t be found in other coilovers in the same price range. The kit includes top hats and 32-way adjustable dampers with height-adjustable shocks.
These Rev9 coilovers are great, especially for drivers who want to replace all of their factory shocks with new ones and have a height-adjustable coilover suspension.
These Rev9 coils are all about performance and comfort, designed for everyday driving to provide the perfect mix. Rev9 tests each of their coil kits and compress their springs over 600,000 times (!) to make sure their durability is worthy. The tests show that the distortion rate is only 0.04%, which means these products are built to last.
Independent spring tension and ride height settings allow for separate adjusting of stiffness and ride height.
- Includes a full set of 4 coilovers
- 8 kg front and 8 kg rear springs
- Height adjustment range of about 1″ drop from max height to about 3″ maximum drop
- 1-year warranty
- Fitment – 08,09,10,11,12,13,14 Subaru Impreza/WRX (excl. WRX STI)
- No installation instructions
- Full-length adjustability
- Great performance
- Easy installation (with right tools)
- Professional installation recommended
- Front camber plates included
- 32-way adjustable dampers (soft to firm)
- Height-adjustable shocks
- Camber plate with pillow ball
- Standard top mount
These high-quality coilovers are made of high-tensile steel SAE9254 (tensile strength 200 kgf/mm2 or higher) and cold-formed for ultimate resistance to sagging and excellent stability. Flex A has adopted the new wrought aluminum spring seats and low-friction hard-resin thrust washers.
With these coilovers, no matter how big the bump, the impact gets absorbed and converted to thermal energy inside the shock absorber, minimizing the shock and eliminating rebound force. Flex A comes with the “Hydraulic Bump Stopper (H.B.S.)” feature, tested in the world’s harshest motorsports events including the World Rally Championship and the European Rally Championship.
The efficiency of this impact-absorbing technology is impressive!
There’s no need to change the damper stroke length and/or spring pre-load – Flex A’s full-length ride height adjustment system does so by setting the case length. Thus, when the height is adjusted, the change in ride quality is minimal.
Apart from maintaining the balance of comfort and low-ride appearance, you also have more setting choices for sport driving!
- 4 shock absorbers
- 4 springs
- Height adjustment -0.6″ to -2.9″ (front), -0.7″ to -2.1″ (rear)
- Fitment 2015+ Subaru WRX (VAG) WRX 4DR/2015-Up Subaru WRX (VAF) STI 4DR
- Complete kit with upper mount
- Weight – 60 lbs
- Sleek green finish
- Smooth big impact absorption
- High durability and reliability
- Comfortable ride
- Damping force adjustment system
- Full-length ride height adjustment
- Twin-tube structure
- Low resiliency
- Sufficient stroke
- 16-level damping force adjustment
- Hydraulic Bump Stopper (H.B.S.)
- Tested in World Rally Championship and European Rally Championship
Monotube dampers provide more accurate and stable control and adjustment of dampening. A lower ride height and lower center of gravity give a more steady ride. You can adjust your vehicle’s suspension and improve overall performance with no problems using these elite coilovers. HKS (Japan) offers a complete line of coilover suspension systems for everyone.
The HKS Hipermax IV line is their top tier setup, tuned and designed for comfortable street performance and racing. With 35 years of GT, drifting, and drag racing, HKS provides cutting edge suspension technology.
Using a special coating provides 5 times better durability over standard galvanizing. This prevents build-up around the threads of the adjustment areas allowing for easier height adjustment. The MAX IV has an increased cylinder shaft size for a firm damping even in a narrow stroke range because of the optimized oil pressure characteristic.
The manufacturer has mainly adopted this to the rear damper for a better driving experience.
- Single-tube structure
- Material – aluminum
- Stainless steel lock nut & ride height adjuster
- PNE coating
- Special oil
- Shock-body length adjustable
- Made in Japan
- Perfect for everyday driving
- Stylish and powerful coils
- Comfortable low ride
- Dust boot for stone protection
- Non-electrolysis nickel-plated shock bodies
- Improved anti-rust & anti-corrosion characteristics
- 30 levels of dampening adjustment
- 2-way adjustable front pillow ball mount
The BR series coilovers are produced from SAE9254 high-strength cold wound steel. They feature a large 46 mm diameter piston in a 53 mm diameter damper body to maximize oil capacity. As the damper unit operates the oil contained within heats up. The viscosity of the oil changes as the temperature varies, which can lead to the changes in the unit’s damping characteristics.
The main priority for BC Racing is the adjustable suspension for street and motor racing. Their products are manufactured at a large factory producing screw pendants and components. By the way, the same factory produces quite famous premium suspensions.
Due to the fact that BC Racing products are manufactured at a large factory with a wide range of coilovers, prices are quite competitive, and the quality is very high. All BC Racing suspension components are manufactured on high-precision, modern equipment and assembled manually, going through many stages of quality control.
In contrast to some of the medium/premium segment, BC Racing supplies fully customizable coilovers, the so-called “full-tap” construction, as well as pre-tensioning adjustments on the springs, compression stiffness and shock absorber rebound, and upper supports with adjustable angle of collapse.
BC Racing’s suspension mounting kits completely replace the standard suspension including all braces, brake brackets, ABS sensor mounting brackets, etc. The single-pipe design and larger shock absorber diameter allows you to work out the irregularities with high quality while maintaining clear and collected characteristics and with a greater safety factor.
BC Racing only uses high-quality oil with its coilovers. The engineers go the extra mile to maximize performance and build their BR range with a large 53 mm diameter damper body. This increases the capacity of the unit and the volume of oil contained which, in turn, reduces the top temperature, significantly improving damper performance.
Pressurized nitrogen also adds an extra element of effective spring rate to the damper unit. Coilovers use a locking collar to prevent the bottom mount from loosening.
BC Racing dampers use a sophisticated shim stack design to consistently control the compression and rebound speed of the damper rod even in the harshest conditions.
- Single-tube design
- Aluminum top plates
- Weight – 50 lbs
- Dimensions – 30″ x 6″ x 6″
- Single wrench adjustment
- Front camber plates included
- 1-year warranty
- 30-way adjustable damping
- Adjustable spring platform
- Adjust compression/rebound 2-axis bushings
- Perfect fit
- Ride comfort
- Height adjustment via bottom mount
- Dust boot for damper seal protection
These coilovers are perfect for drivers who prefer to lower their vehicles while counting on sporty driving, comfort, and safety, which is possible due to the extensive driving tests of KW experts who have preset the dampers for ultimate balance and performance.
With KW coilovers4 you will achieve ultimate lowering in the tested adjustment range. Even after many years, you can quickly and effortlessly adjust the height due to the dirt-resistant trapezoid thread and composite collar. Lowering at the front axle is done using a one-piece composite height adjuster.
The same goes for the rear axle (unless the car has a separate spring and shock absorber). The supplied rear height adjuster sits either above or below the rear spring.
The KW inox-line coilovers give the sporty driver its harmonic basic setup. These kits are developed for each specific vehicle with a unique damper setup and spring rate to increase driving comfort with an optimal balance of sportiness and practicality. KW uses only its own resources, high-quality components, and the best damper technologies.
With KW coilovers, rolling motions of the body are reduced during compression, and you simply enjoy sportier handling while driving.
- Material – stainless steel
- Weight – 46.3 lbs
- Dimensions – 30″ x 18″ x 6″
- Length – 30″
- Width – 18″
- Height – 6″
- Individually height adjustable
- Optimal performance
- Factory pre-adjusted
- Excellent driving dynamics
- Sporty and comfortable dampening technology
- Inox-line stainless steel technology
- Lifetime warranty
- High-quality components for durability
- German TUV-tested lowering range
Best Coilovers for WRX – Buyer’s Guide
As you know, a regular rod is a spring with a shock absorber inside, not an adjustable suspension. That is, the lower support in the rod, which firmly holds the spring, as well as the lower mount (which is attached to the suspension) are absolutely non-adjustable.
All you can do manually to tune such an inseparable suspension is to trim the coils on the spring so the shock absorber rod will drop down and the car will be lower, which is what hundreds of “folk” tuners actually do – probably everyone has seen lowriders.
But this kind of tuning makes traction on the road much worse, regardless of what anyone says, because you significantly worsen suspension characteristics – the struts are simply not designed for that!
But what do you do if you’re itching for suspension? Consider coilovers.
Coilovers come with a fully adjustable damper (not cast), which means you don’t have to cut the coils on the shock absorber spring. All you have to do is unscrew the lower support and move it down by the thread that is on the body. Thus, the spring will move down, which will lower your car without any “barbaric intervention”, i.e. spring trimming.
Different Coilover Types
There are two methods of coilover installation – keeping native shocks or installing a complete coilover kit.
The first option is to modify the installed shock absorbers by installing a screw thread with a spring on them. The disadvantage of this method is that a regular shock absorber is not designed to work in different extreme positions, so you risk damaging the shock absorber and get quite mediocre characteristics and poor handling.
The second option is to install a factory-made coilover kit with a full replacement of stock shock absorbers. In this case, the manufacturer considers all the nuances, and the screw thread is applied to the shock absorber body itself. Off-the-shelf coilovers are more convenient and practical; they do not require excessive manipulation, time, or money.
The advantage here is that the rod is already designed for different load ranges, and its service life is much longer.
Working Principle and Design
The base of the adjustable suspension is a conventional shock absorber rod. The only difference is its characteristics, which allow for operating in a wide range [from the lightest (rebound) to the most rigid (compression)]. The rod body is threaded, or a special cover that’s already threaded is put on. At the bottom, there is a stop, which can move up and down.
The spring is between the two stops. The lower position can be changed. The upper part of the adjustable suspension lever has a special mounting. Its lower part is screwed onto the thread by screwing it in so that it can move up or down freely.
The main advantage of coilovers is the possibility to adjust the height without interfering with your suspension and the ability to use them with conventional shock absorber rods.
How low can I lower my car with a coilover?
It is hardly possible to give an exact number, as everything depends on the specific vehicle and its clearance. Coilovers often have an understatement of about 20 mm at the lowest point, and the adjustment range varies between 20 and 100 mm.
Note that coilovers are not always about lowering cars – there are those which increase the clearance of vehicles for certain purposes and goals with the help of screw suspension.
Besides types, there are two lines of coilovers. Each of them is responsible for making its own individual changes:
- Street. The suspension gets increased stiffness but less swinging and hanging and does not roll on corners. The difference in car behavior on corners, turns, and other maneuvers become especially noticeable with maximum adjustment – there is a tangible sporting “temperament”.
- Track. These products provide stability on the road, making the suspension even more assembled and harder. Even with the softest settings, it responds well to steering and operates steadily.
Depending on the adjustment possibilities, the following types are also distinguished:
- Standard shock absorbers with threaded support. These are the types of coilovers that are in the highest demand. From a technical point of view, they are suitable for nothing but a clearance change. The advantage is the low cost. The main disadvantage is that you can’t change the suspension stiffness.
- Simple coilovers with the stiffness change function. The cost of these is a little higher than for the first type, but they can be installed on any car. The stroke of the rod directly depends on the set clearance. The advantage is that they are suitable for different cars. The disadvantage is that they decrease controllability.
- Full-tap coilovers (DGR) provide adjustment of ground clearance, suspension stiffness, and spring preload. Manufacturers often equip such rods with support bearings to adjust the wheel alignment. The advantage is the flexible adjustment of the suspension. Their disadvantages include being difficult to install and expensive.
- Professional coilovers with high-speed and low-speed compression capability are practically not used by auto enthusiasts because of the high cost and inexpediency of installation.
Pros and Cons of Coilovers
- Simple design, fast installation
- Quick increase/decrease of ground clearance without dismantling the suspension
- Shock absorber stiffness adjustment for any purpose
- Acceptable cost and no need to produce high-tech, expensive suspension tuning
- Separate installation on OEM shock absorbers
- Versatility – coilovers can be installed on almost any car
- Price is twice as high as quality shock absorbers from well-known manufacturers
- Not always possible to install over old rods
- Certain skills and time are needed for adjustment
- The difference in adjustment of two coilovers can lead to unbalance and further worsen driving characteristics
- Once the coilover is adjusted, a wheel alignment is often required
As you can see, coilovers are really nothing complicated, and under the fancy-sounding coilover there’s an ordinary spring shock absorber with adjustment capability. Now that you know what coilovers are, we think you can easily decide for yourself whether to install them.
In this way, with a well-founded installation and clever adjustment, the screw suspension on coilovers makes driving more comfortable, easier, and more confident, as well as giving it the desired sporty look. The main thing is to choose the right part for the installation, not to skimp on quality, and ensure that the part’s operation does not actually degrade the performance of the vehicle.
Oh yeah, and don’t rebuild on stock STI shocks, it’s a waste of money.
Other articles below might be useful for you as well: