The Center console is a type of storage compartment that is installed between the driver’s seat and the front passenger’s seat; not only does it act as the storage space that can store some lightweight objects like glasses or accessories, but in some cars, can also be equipped with gadgets and can work electronically moreover, it can also have the vehicle control information in it.
The center consoles can also include cup holders, a cigarette lighter, auxiliary powerpoint. Vehicle controls such as air conditioner or climate controls, audio controls, and in some even a built-in display. If we talk further about the features, some center console also have the food storage capacity to keep the food materials cool or hot. You can even swap this center console of your choice. Just be careful while swapping the center console of your Chevy Silverado.
Table of Contents
Silverado Center Console Swap: Is It Possible?
Yes, it is possible to swap or change the center console of your Chevy Silverado with another center console of your choice. This DIY process takes 2 hours on average and requires basic hardware tools to deal with. If this is your first time interacting with an activity involving swapping vehicle parts, try to be careful with the tools.
How to swap the center console step-by-step
If you are confused about swapping your Chevy Silverado center console, well, don’t worry. We have come up with a simplified and easy to perform step-by-step guide on swapping or changing the center console. Let’s start with the tools that we need for this swapping:
- Small pick.
- 15 mm socket and wrench.
- 11 mm socket and wrench.
- T50 Torx bit.
Now follow the steps that are given below:
- Step 1: Use your pick to remove the plastic covers mounted over the top of the seat mounts. Do it carefully as the covers are somewhat delicate and could be damaged if not done properly.
- Step 2: Now proceed while pulling off the inside cover; this would not require any tool. Moreover, it can be done with bare hands only.
- Step 3: Make sure that the lock washer on the cover stays on the cover, but if the lock washer is on the bold head, carefully raise it off.
- Step 4: Now, we have to unbolt the front mount nuts, which will require the 11 mm socket, and the rear bolt nuts, which require a 15 mm socket.
- Step 5: After unbolting the seats from all four bolts, start to unbolt the seatbelt harness and remove the seats; however, it is not necessary to unbolt the seatbelt from the seats.
- Step 6: Now, we have to lift off the jump seat. This can be done using the T50 Torx bit, and use it to remove the jumpseat seatbelt.
- Step 7: After removing the jump seat, remove the lower trim present on the dash.
- Step 8: Now comes the main step, which is swapping the center console in your Chevy Silverado. It should fit in if you have the correct center console specified for the Chevy Silverado. In case your console doesn’t fit incorrectly, this indicates that the center console you have bought is not the one used in the Chevy Silverado. Try another console that would fit in our Chevy Silverado.
- Step 9: Now plug in the console with the help of the jumpseat harness.
- Step 10: After you have placed the console in your Chevy Silverado and it works completely fine, reinstall the seat and the seatbelts by bolting them back with the help of the T50 Torx bit, the 11 mm socket, and the 15 mm socket.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where to find another center console for my Chevy Silverado?
You can also get the center console for your Chevy Silverado in the aftermarket stores; there are a lot of other accessories and parts available in the aftermarket.
What is a center console?
The center consoles can also comprise cup holders, a cigarette lighter, and an auxiliary powerpoint. Controls for the air conditioner or climate control, audio controls, and in some cases, a built-in display are all included in the vehicle. Moreover, some vehicles also have additional airbags inside the center console.
Why are the reasons that you require a center console replacement?
☑️ The center console currently equipped in your car may be damaged or not functioning properly.
☑️ You want to install another center console for your liking to customize your vehicle in your way.
☑️ You want more storage space than your current center console is providing.
☑️ You want to minimize the chaos in your vehicle.
You May Find Useful: Common Chevy Silverado Problems
There is no harm in swapping the center console in your Chevy Silverado, but after the swapping is done, remember to check the bolts, and the cover is placed properly as it could damage the seat and the console itself. Always try to find the center console recommended for your Chevy Silverado, or it won’t fit into your Chevy again, resulting in damaging the console and other interior parts of your Chevy Silverado.