A fuel pump relay is a kind of electronic component located in a car’s fuse box; this electronic part’s function is to control the fuel pump’s power. But many factors that might affect the pump relay of a car are dust and debris and the electrical power rush. For some of you who might be thinking that a fuel pump relay can work intermittently, the answer is yes, a fuel pump relay can work intermittently.
There are many reasons that might be responsible for it, some of them are: loose terminals, wearing down of the contacts and weak coils, etc. As per our detailed study of this topic, We have gathered all the relevant points that might be useful for you.
Table of Contents
How do I know if the fuel pump relay is bad?
If you are confused about whether you have a faulty fuel pump relay or not, then don’t worry. Here we have a step-by-step guide to a troubleshooting method from which you can check the status of your fuel pump relay. Just follow the steps that are given below:
- Turn off your car’s engine and remove the key from the ignition port. This should be done first because when dealing with any electrical part, the car should not be in ignition to minimize the chances of getting an electric shock that might be prone.
- Now look for the main fuse box by popping up your car’s hood; if you cannot find your car’s fuel pump relay, try referring to the manual.
- Now that you have spotted the fuel pump relay, remove it by loosening the connections.
- Now we have to test the relay fuel meter using a multimeter. Connect the correct prong to the multimeter by referring to the diagram printer.
- Now take the jumper wires and connect them to the positive and negative terminals of the car’s battery.
- Look at the multimeter. If the reading is above 0, then the reading is faulty.
Can a fuel pump relay work intermittently?
The fuel pump is an important part and plays a vital role in an engine’s combustion process. The fuel pump is responsible for delivering the fuel to the engine for combustion and working the car.
The answer to whether a fuel pump relay can work intermittently is yes. Here are some of the cases in which the fuel pump relay can work intermittently:
- Bad ground- bad grounding of the fuel pump relay can also cause the fuel pump relay to work intermittently; this will make the contacts develop certain problems.
- Contacts- This can be another reason your fuel pump relay occasionally works, as the contacts of the fuel pump relay can be worn down over time and cause this issue to sustain.
- Terminal issue- It can be possible that there is a certain issue with the positive terminal of the battery that may be causing this issue; if there is a bad connection, then it may result in the working of the fuel pump rally intermittently.
- Coils- Weakening the coil can also lead to occasionally working the fuel pump relay in your car.
Symptoms of bad fuel pump relay
If you have a bad fuel pump relay in your car, then there are some of the symptoms that you can actively look for to confirm this issue; here, we have articulated all the signs of this problem below:
- Engine stalls: If your car stalls a lot without any particular reason that is known to you, then this might be addressed as the issue of the bad fuel pump or relay in your car this might be responsible for this issue.
- Engine Fail to start: If you start your car suddenly doesn’t ignite properly the air-fuel mixture, which results in not starting your engine, then this might be caused by a faulty fuel pump relay.
- No noise in the fuel pump: There is a slight humming in the fuel pump under normal circumstances. But if your fuel pump is not making any sound, it is possible you may have an issue with the fuel pump relay of your car.
- Rough acceleration: If you have bad fuel pump relays, this might prevail over the issue related to your car’s acceleration; it may feel jerky or rough when you are trying to accelerate your car.
- Car dies suddenly: Overall, this is something that most people would think is the cause of the low or faulty battery, but it is quite common that this issue can be caused by the bad fuel pump relays of your car. So if you notice that your car is dying abruptly, then there is a chance that your fuel pump relays are damaged or have an issue.
How does a car act when the fuel pump relay is going out?
Suppose your car has a faulty or damaged fuel pump relay. In that case, it will directly impact the fuel and ignition process of your car because the fuel pump relay is responsible for delivering the fuel for combustion with the desired power that is necessary for optimal combustion so the car can successfully work.
You may experience certain problems like rough idling and stalling of your car is you are driving your car with bad fuel pump relay. This happens because a faulty fuel pump relay will fail to maintain the appropriate amount of fuel made available to the engine for combustion.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does a fuel pump relay last?
Can a bad fuel pump relay cause misfire?
Can a bad fuel pump relay drain the battery?
Can you bypass a fuel pump relay?
Do fuel pump relays often fail?
Can a fuel pump relay be bad and still work?
You May Also Read: Best Oils For 6.7 Powerstroke
Fuel pump relay can be broken down due to age. This is something that should not panic even if it does the best thing is to consider consulting a mechanic for this issue, he/she will address it professionally.