We all know the more air our engine gets, the better its performance and torque. The standard inlet system in a vehicle is often more restrictive to airflow. The paper filter and the manufacturer’s desire to reduce noise are to blame. Moreover, the air is usually supplied from the heated engine compartment. All this reduces the engine power.
Tuning companies produce cold intakes of different shapes and sizes, both for certain vehicles and multi-purpose.
Cold air intakes allow for increased airflow to your vehicle engine. Compared to the OEM intake systems, dynamometer tests indicate estimated HP and torque when using high-quality cold air intakes. This happens due to the fact that cold air intakes are designed to provide a less restrictive path for airflow, which benefits the engine.
For all of you who care, we offer our list of the best cold air intake systems to improve your vehicle performance.
Review of The Best Cold Air Intakes for 6.4 Powerstroke
Best cold air intake for 6.4 Powerstroke
Best cold air intake for stock 6.4 Powerstroke
|S&B Filters 75-5105|
Best aFe cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
|aFe Power Magnum FORCE 75-11262|
2008 6.4 Powerstroke cold air intake
Emissions legal cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
6.4L cold air intake
|Edge Products 18185|
Best 6.4 Powerstroke cold air intake for rain
Best Banks cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
Best budget cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
|Spectre Performance 9972|
- K&N 57-2576
- S&B Filters 75-5105
- aFe Power Magnum FORCE 75-11262
- Volant 198646
- Airaid 403-214-1
- Edge Products 18185
- Injen EVO9002
- Banks 42185
- Spectre Performance 9972
1. K&N 57-2576 – Best cold air intake for 6.4 Powerstroke
K&N inlet systems provide minimal intake losses, reliable engine protection, and instantaneous response from the gas pedal. In addition, it’s a guaranteed increase in power of your vehicle, individual approach to each model, ease of installation (up to 90 minutes or less), complete replacement of the filter and its housing, easy cleaning of the air filter and reuse, using the vehicle’s ECU factory settings (no reprogramming required), and maximum adaptation to the standard mounting.
K&N intake systems are designed for most vehicles and represent a more serious intake tuning than simply replacing the original filter with a performance filter. They do not use metal pipes, as they increase the air temperature and noise level at the intake. OEM inlet systems severely limit the potential of the engine. K&N intake systems are designed to allow more air to enter the engine to increase power and torque.
K&N inlet systems use an oversized performance cone filter which can be installed in each specific vehicle by maximizing adaptation to the stock mounting.
This filter size alone provides a larger air supply to the engine compared to O/E replacement filters which are strictly limited by the size of the factory housing. In addition, this precision-engineered filter captures and holds more dirt, protecting your engine from contaminants and increasing its service life.
The filtration system consists of thousands of micro cotton fibers. Designed with layered, oiled cotton media, the system is perfect for engine protection. You only have to clean it every 100,000 miles (under usual highway driving conditions).
The K&N intake filter is insulated from the engine by a heat-resistant protective screen (where the underhood space allows) to reduce the intake air temperature, which also affects the vehicle’s power boost. The system also includes a specially shaped intake tubing made of high-density plastic (HDPE) to reduce vibration and speed up airflow to the engine.
That’s why the pipes of different systems differ in shape – they are designed individually for each vehicle model. Finally, the pipe is connected to the engine using an adapter made of high strength materials. By combining all of this with a screwdriver, wrench, and a ratchet-set, you get the world’s best high-performance intake system available today in just 90 minutes.
For daily use, this option is the best choice, as the standard intake system has a cold air intake from the radiators and there is no need to make extra heat shields. Also, the air filter housing is a receiver that eliminates the appearance of extraneous sounds, pinging and hissing, i.e. the sound of the engine will not change.
It is strongly recommended to use these filters in case of chip tuning (or tuning box installation) of the engine, as well as when modifying the vehicle’s exhaust system. Use only K&N Engineering cleaning kits for maintenance, cleaning, and rinsing of the filter.
- Weight – 9.9 lbs
- Box dimensions – 22.3 x 14.3 x 12.5
- Air filter large end diameter – 9″
- Air filter height – 7.9″
- Material – сotton gauze, stainless steel, high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Outlet shape – round
- Clamps included – 4
- Increased lifespan
- Up to 50% increased horsepower
- Improved acceleration and uphill performance
- Better engine sound
- Engine protection
- Exceptional filtration
- Easy to maintain (every 100.000 miles) and install (90 minutes installation)
- Legal in all US states
- Replaces factory air filter and intake tube
2. S&B Filters 75-5105 – Best cold air intake for stock 6.4 Powerstroke
Tired of those annoying “Check Engine” lights? This massive and highly-efficient cold air intake was built to end your suffering. Let your engine breathe freely by minimizing air restriction and improving your airflow (23.10% better than stock)!
The S&B Filters 755105 Cold Air Intake with Cleanable Filter includes a fully-sealed airbox that will protect the air filter from any contaminants and dirt while keeping the engine heat away and providing better performance.
With this bolt-on replacement, you can rely on a perfect fit for your 2008-2010 Powerstroke. To gain more airflow, the S&B oiled cotton filter was designed with 8 layers (for diesel) of high-quality cotton gauze which use more pleats per filter. The tube comes in one piece and positioned in a clean line with almost no obstructions for increased airflow and performance.
The intake also features a seal, coupler, and box plug made of silicone rubber which is able to withstand temperatures of up to 400F and has impressive tear strength. These premium silicone parts will never let you down by sliding off the tube, so you can be sure in their long lifespan. Allow your engine to run properly whether it has stock or enhanced tuning!
- Material – silicone rubber, cotton, HDPE
- Dimensions – 20″ x 20″ x 18″
- Weight – 12.2 lbs
- Oil quantity – 77 g
- Replacement filter: KF-1051
- Filter Wrap: WF-1022
- Balanced air/fuel ratios for improved mileage
- Minimized restriction (handmade cross-linked intake tube)
- Unique airbox to keep dirt out of the system
- Individual approach for certain year, make, model
- Easy to install (30 minutes or less)
- Washable and reusable filter
- Mounting tools included
- Legal in all US states
- CARB Exempt ID – D-590-13
- ISO 5011 tested
3. aFe Power Magnum FORCE 75-11262 – Best aFe cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
aFe Power, an American company that produces cold air intake systems for various vehicles including Ford, BMW, Audi, Honda, Toyota, etc., offers its customers to install the aFe intake instead of a stock filter and air filter box on the intake parts of its own design. As the factory systems are designed to purify the discharge air as much as possible, the cleaning filters provide high restriction to the airflow coming from the grilles. The aFe intake eliminates this flow restriction and increases the airflow rate through the Ford intake system.
The system is designed to help reduce discharge air loss by up to 24%. As a result, the engine is supplied with more cold, oxygen-enriched air. The result is better combustion of the fuel-air mixture, increased power (18 additional HP) and engine torque (42 lb-ft), which has a significant effect on performance.
The Magnum FORCE inlet system is a good example of how to optimize and improve the engine intake system.
This unique, patented system is enclosed in a durable 16 gauge, powder-coated heat shield and consists of an airtight ventilation enclosure that protects the filter against hot air in the engine compartment, heat-insulating molded plastic tube, and a Magnum FORCE oiled 7-layer performance filter (100% polyurethane).
- Weight – 13 lbs
- Dimensions – 17.2″ x 13″ x 12.9″
- Material – aluminum, rotomolded plastic, polyurethane
- High-performance aFe air filter
- 7-layer oiled
- 5 layers of cotton gauze
- 2 layers of synthetic material
- 16 gauge, powder-coated heat shield
- Application – Ford 6.4L PowerStroke 08-10
- Engine heat isolation
- Increased HP and torque
- Improved airflow and performance
- Tested for a specific application
- Instructions included
- 24% better outflow than the factory intake
- Additional 18% HP and 42 lb-ft torque
- Easy and fast installation (40-60 minutes)
- Made in the USA
4. Volant 198646 – 2008 6.4 Powerstroke cold air intake
The unique design of the Volant’s Cold Air Intake Filter Box is built to provide exceptional protection to the filter by keeping hot air away from it in the engine compartment while increasing horsepower and torque. Volant air intake systems utilize an increased-velocity venturi filter adapter for a smooth transition through the MAF sensor into the intake tube to gain more airflow compared to the factory tubing and resonator box.
Volant’s Cold Airbox is bigger than the stock unit and features a larger opening, thus, collecting a higher amount of cool air from the outside. The model includes a unique PowerCore filter that requires no maintenance. Donaldson’s PowerCore Filtration technology makes submillimeter dirt particles stay on the surface rather than gather inside the filter, which provides a longer lifespan and increases performance.
On average, Volant replacement air filters last for 4 years or 150.000 miles under normal highway conditions.
- Weight – 14 lbs
- Dimensions – 44.5″ x 12.5″ x 12.5″
- For 2008-2010 Ford F-250/350/450 6.4L
- Improved performance and fuel efficiency
- Increased mileage
- Meets OEM filter standards
- PowerCore dry element filter
- Vehicle specific air ducts
- Full enclosure with a sealed lid
5. Airaid 403-214-1 – Emissions legal cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
If you need more power and performance from your vehicle, Airaid products are able to make you satisfied. The company focuses on the production of premium air intakes and air filters for SUVs, pickup trucks, and other vehicles.
It all started in 1997 when Airaid began to develop and manufacture air intake systems for light pickup trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. Since then, the company continues to grow, constantly expanding its product range. There are many engineering and serious technologies that stand behind each product. The development process starts with calculations – the engineers analyze every detail of the future product.
Let your engine breathe with Airaid systems! They are designed for you to get more power and torque which you will guarantee feel and hear. To ensure maximum air circulation, each filter is tested and adjusted with the most modern equipment before the official release. This means you get air intakes that meet quality standards. All Airaid systems are equipped with a filter that traps even the smallest dirt particles, preventing them from entering your engine.
Airaid offers you several air intakes (dry black/red, and oil red filters are available), using the original location of the stock filter, providing cooler airflows through the round filter.
The MXP series is one of the most efficient induction systems available on the market to provide maximum power and torque.
Vehicle owners say that these filters offer a perfect combination of air and filtration. Washable and 100% reusable, Airaid filters give you several protection levels against contaminants.
Airaid filters consist of several layers of cotton with SynthaFlow material. SynthaFlow is a synthetic fiber material which is the last line of protection inside the filter. The material helps effectively filtrate dirt at the micron level, capturing the tiniest particles that cannot be trapped by a stock filter. Working together, all layers guarantee premium filtration without sacrificing air. Airaid filters also have a very robust urethane filter housing which will never be affected in any way by the engine heat.
- Dimensions – 20.4″ x 20.2″ x 12.7″
- Weight – 11 lbs
- Materials – high-density cross-linked polyethylene,
- non-woven synthetic, stainless steel
- 1 clamp included
- Blue color
- Washable and reusable oil-free air filter media
- Increased airflow
- Balanced air-to-fuel ratios
- Ultimate fuel efficiency, torque, HP
- High-quality components
- Easy to install (no special tools required)
- Mounting tools included
- Manufactured in the USA
- Legal in all US states
- CARB EO Number – D-609-18
6. Edge Products 18185 – 6.4L cold air intake
The Edge’s Jammer Intake System has a lifetime reusable filter and all the necessary clear instructions for easy installation, as well as all the required hardware. No additional tools are needed.
A few neat facts about this product are that it’s 50-state legal, which means you can legally use it anywhere in the US. It’s a ridiculously easy way to add some horsepower and torque, i.e. increase your vehicle performance.
Another great feature is that this unit is also compatible with all Edge tuning products to make them work better.
The Jammer Cold Air Intake represents revolutionary design technologies that result in improving airflow by protecting the filter from hot engine air and creating a proper path for efficient cool and dense air supply. Let your engine breathe freely with dense air and provide continuous power and efficient combustion. This cold air intake has a larger and smoother high-quality tube with fewer bends for optimal continuous airflow compared to stock tubing. You will definitely notice an increase in power and efficiency of the system with maximum gains in mileage.
- Weight – 10.6 lbs
- Dimensions – 22″ x 20″ x 12″
- Material – high-density polyethylene, non-woven synthetic, stainless steel
- Dry filter
- High-density, cold air intake
- Increased horsepower and fuel efficiency
- Compatible with Edge tuning products
- Enclosed or open housing for ultimate cool airflow
- Continuous power improvement
- Lifetime reusable filter options
- High airflow, low restriction
- Easy to clean and install
- Exhaust gas temperature drop
- Engine coolant temperature drop
- Manifold intake air temperature drop
7. Injen EVO9002 – Best 6.4 Powerstroke cold air intake for rain
Injen is a U.S. company that produces cold air intakes for many different vehicles and engine models, and, of course, it has the right unit for the 2008-2010 Ford Diesel Trucks with the 6.4L Powerstroke. The company claims that its production is one of the most efficient. What we have learned is that they represent true-quality US-made products available at humane prices.
These systems are equipped with dry filters that do not require washing, oil lubrication and do not allow MAF/MAP fails due to oil deposits from the filter. A Hydro-Shield is another useful feature. Basically, it’s a synthetic cover with tiny holes which does not interfere with the passage of air. You simply put on the filter and prevent the penetration of water (spray, rain), while making the open filter similar to the case filters in terms of protection.
You can expect a 25+ power increase and 53 ft-lb of torque with this system made from cross-linked high-density polyethylene for ultimate durability, depending on the vehicle model.
The Evolution’s closed-box system to pull cold air from outside and feed it to your engine, keeping those EGTs down and everything.
You have all the stainless steel hardware, you may need, included in the kit as well as high-quality urethane couplers. There’s no need to cut or drill anything to install it. Moreover, you don’t have to do any aftermarket tuning – the EVO9002 was precisely tuned and dyno-tested. The kit also comes with a custom SHUR-LOCK mounting system on the air filter to provide a non-slip seal and stability.
- Dimensions – 28″ x 17″ x 13″
- Weight – 5 lbs
- Material – stainless steel, polyethylene
- Dry air filter
- Deep filter pleats (over 1.25)
- Built-in monitor
- Smooth intake tube
- Premium hardware
- SHUR-LOCK mounting system
- Perfect for 2008-2010 Ford F250/F350 trucks with the V8-6.4L Power Stroke
- Dyno Proven gains of up to 23 HP and 53 lb-ft of torque
- Designed to work with the stock calibration
- Aggressive intake growl under acceleration
- Heavy-duty roto-molded polyethylene housing and tube
- Reinforced automotive grade silicone couplers
- Fully serviceable massive 360 SuperNano-Web dry air filter
- Stainless steel band clamps with an inner protective liner
- Aggressive under hood appearance while maintaining an OE fit
- Made in California, USA
8. Banks 42185 – Best Banks cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
Meet Banks Power! You can always rely on engineers of this company since they triple test each of their products before the official release. The 42185 Ram Air Intake System is able to extract some serious power out of your big, bad 6.4L Power Stroke, improving the airflow to get better performance, torque, mileage, lower EGTs, and the ability to support low and mid-level PCM tuning without any hassle.
The Banks Ram Air Intake Kit drops into your Super Duty right in place of your factory airbox, providing much more charge air at cooler temperatures and higher velocities for your engine than your stock intake elements do. The Banks Super Duty Ram Air Kit outflows your stock intake system by up to 31%, greatly improving your truck’s performance and, what’s more important, fuel economy without any tuning. Trust us, this Air Intake System provides a lot better fuel economy compared to the stock F-350 system.
The system has everything you need to get more air for big power achievements. The filter was precisely designed to supply more air than stock disposable filters while capturing more dirt particles and contamination.
The filter is housed in a sealed airbox that protects the filter from engine heat while letting in more air. The Banks Ram Cold Air Intake Kit connects with the OEM turbocharger tubing, making the installation process ridiculously easy.
Each Banks Ram Air Kit comes with all the hardware you may need as well as installation instructions.
- Dimensions – 21.4″ x 18.9″ x 11.1″
- Weight – 14 lb
- Filter material – synthetic, PVP, stainless steel
- Easy filter access and installation (basic tools required)
- Washable and reusable dry filter
- Rigorously tested and validated
- Filter box keeps hot, power-robbing engine air away
- Provides cooler outside air for more power and miles per gallon
- The massive filter improves high-flow filtration
- Cooler engine run
- Accommodates engine movement
- Prevents component damage
- Extends engine’s lifespan
- Require no frequent cleanings
- Improves flow up to 31%
- A dry air filter element
9. Spectre Performance 9972 – Best budget cold air intake 6.4 Powerstroke
Spectre Performance air intake systems are built to get more HP and torque from your vehicle and protect the engine from dangerous microscopic dirt particles. Moreover, with this unit, you can also improve your fuel economy. This particular intake kit comes with a red Spectre washable and reusable low restriction air filter, high-quality polished aluminum tube, so you don’t have to worry about corrosion or rust, and a black powder-coated steel heat shield (where it fits) to help protect the intake inlet from hot engine air. The 9972 model features open-element design, built to provide more performance gains than regular intake systems.
Each Spectre Performance kit comes with all the necessary hardware and clamps for an O/E fit and finish.
Unleash your engine’s power potential and provide consistent airflow with a Spectre Cold Air Intake!
- Dimensions – 18″ x 18″ x 8.5″
- Weight – 10.5 lbs
- Material – aluminum, stainless steel, plastic, non-woven synthetic
- Powder-coated steel heat shield
- Hardware included
- Two clamps included
- One couple included
- Fits 2010 Ford F250/F350/F450/F550 and 2009 Ford F250
- Increased horsepower and torque
- Easy to install (around 1 hour)
- Washable and reusable filter
- High-quality polished aluminum tube
- Affordable price
- Legal in all US states
- CARB EO Number – D-269-7
Best Cold Air Intakes for 6.4 Powerstroke – Buyer’s Guide
How it works – the air first goes through a performance air filter, which is designed to provide more airflow than a stock paper filter, then through a smooth aerodynamic path of a special tubing system.
The installation process of such a kit is usually simple and does not take much time, often done together with other power enhancements. The main idea is that cold air has a higher density than hot air, so more oxygen enters the engine and the power increases.
All the systems are based on outside air which is noticeably colder than underhood air. However, the term “cold air intake” is often misnamed to refer to open-air filters in the engine compartment. Such a system, on the contrary, increases the temperature of the intake air, and should be referred to as “hot air intake.”
Apart from an increase in engine power, there’s also a lower chance of knocking/pinging. In some cases, gas pedal responsiveness can be improved and fuel consumption reduced by a few percent.
In the simplest version of the cold intake, the standard air filter housing is replaced by a short plastic/metal pipe with a performance filter at the end. The increase in HP depends on how tightly the engine has been clamped by the standard filter.
In any case, such a system often involves putting the filter under the hood, and you should at least make heat shields and try to move the filter to the front, colder part of the engine compartment. More power can be obtained by placing the air intake in the wheel arch, bumper, or behind the grille (but in front of the radiator).
Other options like hood vents or the filter instead of one of the headlights are also available.
First-time tuners often do not care about proper cold air intake arrangement – it seems enough just to put a performance filter on the standard corrugated hose or circle-cut the “pot” on the carburetor, sometimes you can even see the filter hanging over the exhaust manifold.
With such a set, after a few minutes of active driving, the intake air temperature rises extremely. Power drops – the car just does not “pull.” Those who consider the intake to be a trifle should not be involved in tuning.
Now, let’s sum it up!
A Cold Air Intake (CAI) is a system that supplies cold air to the engine inlet manifold.
- Performance filter.
- Airpath (tubing).
Used on both atmospheric and turbo engines.
A stock intake system usually has a high airflow restriction. This is due to the paper filter and the manufacturer’s desire to reduce noise. The air is hot because it comes from the engine compartment and because of the heating of plastic elements of the inlet tubing, located close to the engine. All this reduces the engine power.
Cold Air Intake System Benefits
- A performance filter does not “choke” the engine and allows more air to pass through.
- The engine is supplied with colder and denser air (relative to the air heated under the hood).
- More oxygen in the air, because it’s colder.
Basic Construction Principles
- Air intake from coldest places.
- Maximum filter-engine distance.
- Smooth tubing – not corrugated, so as not to create resistance to airflow.
- Shortest possible filter-intake manifold path, which is as far away from hot parts as possible.
- Heat-resistant materials.
- Increased engine power. A little more horsepower and more torque. For atmospheric engines, the gain is smaller, for turbos – much larger.
- Small knocking/pinging chance.
- No engine hesitation in hot weather.
- Possible improvements in acceleration and fuel economy.
- Typical air filter noise (some people like it).
- Water hammer probability in case of extreme variants of installation and vehicle operation.
We recommend you buy only high-quality cold air intake systems which will help your vehicle save its resources while driving fast, and your engine will run smoothly for a long time. The quality of the above-mentioned systems will not let you down in a crucial moment.