Ignition is hands down one of the more important aspects of a vehicle’s performance. If you can’t get the vehicle going in the first place, there’s no getting from A to B.
Modern vehicles usually require a pack of ignition coils to transform power from the automobile’s battery to generate a spark to individually fire each cylinder.
Different vehicles can require a specified ignition coil, but the 5.4 Triton is one of the more common ones and is typically seen in many Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys.
A faulty coil pack can result in a lot of problems, and replacing them is expensive, so it pays to make the decision right.
But don’t worry, we’re here to make that decision easy for you. We’ve done our homework and have been assessing some of the best coil packs on the market for 5.4 Triton.
After much deliberation, we were able to handpick our top 7 favorites. And coming up very shortly you’ll find our reviews on each.
But, if all this seems too much like gobbledegook, you don’t have to worry about that either. This is because we also have a buying guide for you, which walks you through everything you might want to think about before you buy.
Then we’re going to top that off with a section where we answer some of your most frequently asked questions on the subject.
Let’s jump in and get started…
Table of Contents
7 Best Coil Pack for 5.4 Triton
1. Bravex 8 Pack Straight Boot Ignition Coils
These coils are 100% compatible with OE coils and will fit selected Ford 4.6l 5.4l v8, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles including F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, NAVIGATOR, MOUNTAINEER, MUSTANG, and Mark.
They are super highly conductive and offer super high dielectric performance. They’re built for racing, you see. They provide 15% more energy than traditional OE coils, thanks to their German imported copper wire.
They’re built to reduce any misfires and eliminate hesitation. And this in turn makes them more durable.
And speaking of durability, the material around the special copper wire is also top quality, composed of German Huntsman epoxy, to provide excellent performance and resistance to any abrasion, any overheating, AND any corrosion caused by friction.
And better yet, the warranty lasts for an entire 5 years – how reassuring is that! Also reassuring was that it’s made the bestseller lists with online retailers.
It’s well worth reading the customer reviews because they can really provide some great tips. That said customer feedback is very positive overall, with many customers praising how easy they are to install, value for money, and mileage.
|Compatible with several models of Fords, Mercurys, and Lincolns||Some customers have been met with issues, but they all praise the after-sales support|
|Provides 15% more energy than traditional OE coils|
|The warranty lasts for an entire 5 years|
|On the bestseller lists with online retailers|
|Excellent customer ratings & feedback|
|High-quality construction & materials|
- Upgrade 15% More Energy Than OE Coils.
- Reduces Misfire and Eliminates Hesitation.
- Super High Conductive Coil and Super High Di-electric Performance Epoxy, 5 Years Warranty.
- Compatible to: 5C1584 E508 3L3E-12A366-CA 3L3Z-12029-BA C1659 5C1584 3L3Z12029BA 3L3U12A366BB 3L3E12A366CA 50082 601000 11054 DG-511 DG511 3L3Z 12029 BA 3L3U 12A366 BB 3L3E 12A366.
- IGNITION COILS fit selected Ford 4.6l 5.4l v8, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles including EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, MUSTANG, Mark, NAVIGATOR, and MOUNTAINEER. Please check fitment bar and description before you BUY IT to confirm it fits on the year/ month of manufacture of your vehicle.
2. ENA Pack of 8 Curved Ignition Coils
This has proved a very popular pack of coils, having earned well over 5,000 individual customer ratings on the Amazon page alone. And better yet, the average customer rating still comes in at an impressive 4 and a half stars out of 5.
Please note that these are curved coils and not straight ones. You will need to ascertain what shape you need before you buy. Only certain coils are compatible with some models. These coils are compatible with a range of different Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models.
They are more affordable than most other packs of 8 coils. However, ENA does not appear to have skimped on quality.
The boots of the coils are constructed with high-quality rubber, designed not only to prevent any moisture from seeping in but also to ensure there’s no breakdown from overheating.
The connector meanwhile is both corrosion resistant and heat resistant. And the coil windings are very highly conductive. Plus there’s the durable shock-resistant housing.
They are quick and easy to install, and will at least match the OE design or improve on it, for excellent performance and reliability. In fact, they work well throughout the entire engine speed range and in all weather conditions.
Moreover, they help to reduce several common ignition coil issues, from a hard start, right the way through to poor fuel economy.
We were also impressed with the warranty, not a 1-year warranty, or even a 5-year warranty, but a lifetime warranty. How convenient is that!
|A clear bestseller||Please be mindful of compatibility, and be sure that it will fit your vehicle before you go ahead and buy|
|Easy to install|
- Ignition Coils are engineered for original equipment and replacement applications; Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast and easy installation with superior performance and reliability
- Lifetime Warranty - Please use enter your vehicle in your Amazon Garage above to see if this part is compatible with your vehicle
- Designed and manufactured to operate reliably under all operating conditions and throughout the entire engine speed range for peak engine performance
- ENA products are designed to meet or exceed OE specifications in form, fit and function
3. MAS Set of 8 Ignition Coil and Motorcraft Spark
In this deal, you not only get a pack of 8 ignition coils, but you also get 2 packs of 4 Motorcraft spark plugs too!
They come from MAS, a well-established brand in motor technology that’s been around for nearly 30 years.
The parts are compatible with a range of different triton engines, including many of those found in Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys.
The ignition coils have been tested to ensure that they either meet or exceed OE standards. So you know you’re getting good quality equipment that will reliably do its job.
They’re of excellent quality. They feature thicker copper wire for higher ignition energy, and better yet, they’ve been optimized for higher fuel mileage, saving you money every time you fill-up. And while you get high energy output, you actually get very low emissions.
Housing the copper wire is a top grade, very high heat resistant material that can easily take all the heat stress the coils go through, ensuring that you get a very durable and long-lasting coil every time. They’re also very easy to install.
All the parts come complete with a 1-year limited warranty.
|Great, well-established brand||Please be mindful of compatibility, and be sure that it will fit your vehicle before you go ahead and buy|
|Compatible with 4.6-liter engines|
|Meets/exceeds OE standards|
|Higher ignition energy & mileage|
|Very durable and long-lasting|
|Comes with a 1-year warranty|
- Make sure will fit your vehicle check"fitment information", Please compare the pictures of the product with your original parts before purchasing
- OE STANDARD: All of the ignition coils are built to achieve or exceed OE specifications, subject to strict quality control testing,offer the best possible performance and dependability. REPLACES REF# DG508.
- The ignition coils are easy to install,it use the high grade materials,Each coil is design for specific application, low-emissions, high energy output.High heat resistant compound for our ignition coil on plug boot to withstanding heat stress for longer durability.
- Replaces dealer part numbers: DG508, SP493, DG491, E222, F523, F7TU-12A366AB, FD503, COP9, 3W7Z12029AA, FD79, 13062237, 1972290, 1L2U12029AA, 1L2U12A366AA, 1L2Z12029AA, 1L2Z12029AC, 21941483, 21941485, 21941505, 3W7Z12029AA, 71HM12300AA, 72HF12300AA, 75HF12300AA, 88921369, A780X12300HA, C409, C469, C471, D1FZ12300A, D1RY12300A, DC263
- MAS PERFORMANCE IGNITION COILS WITH MOTORCRAFT PLUGS SP493, ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
4. Bravex Super High Energy Ignition Coils
Now, these are some great ignition coils. Designed for professional racing they offer 15% more energy than regular OE coils.
But that’s not all. They also improve the engine combustion efficiency by 2 to 5%, which then in turn leads to higher fuel mileage.
They are made by the OE coil manufacturers themselves, but they exceed OE standards in several ways, with their top-grade silicone magnetic steel core and the secondary windings which are responsible for the 15% higher output energy.
Not to mention the stainless steel spring, high-performance copper wire, and the super durable housing.
They’re built to endure frequent startups and have been tested on thermal shock, salt spray, and vibration.
All in all, you get better acceleration, quicker starts, an instant throttle response, and a smoother idle.
The parts are compatible with a range of different 4.6-liter engines, including many Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys.
We also love that they come with a 100% money-back guarantee. If you’re not happy for any reason you can return them and get your money back with no hassle at all.
They have a very long warranty too. Whichever comes first 100,000 miles or 5 years factory warranty.
|Designed for professional racing||Please be mindful of compatibility, and be sure that it will fit your vehicle before you go ahead and buy|
|Offers 15% more energy output|
|Exceed OE standards in many ways|
|Improves engine efficiency by 2 to 5%|
|100% money-back guarantee|
- Professional Racing Coil, 15% More energy than OE coils. Guarantee 100,000 miles
- Compatible to F523, 5C1412, E213, E262, E409, 52-1761, IC369, IC62, 1L2U12029AA, 1L2Z12029AA, 1L5Z12029AA, 3W7E12A366AA, 3W7Z12029AA, F7TU12029BA, F7TU12A366AB, F7TU12A366BA, F7TZ12029AB, F7TZ12029BA, F7TZ12029CA, F7TZ12029CC, 88921369, DG481, DG491, DG508, FD-493, FD-503, FD-507
- Better acceleration a smoother idle and Improved fuel mileage, Delivers more torque quicker starts ,Instant throttle response
- Engineered for professional racing application. 5 Years Warranty !
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee, If you're not satisfied, return back to us, no-hassle refund or product replacement.
5. ENA Pack of 8 Straight Boot Ignition Coils
We showed you some ENA coils earlier, but those were ones with curved boots and these have straight boots. You will need to determine which would be the best fit for your vehicle.
They’re compatible with engines of different sizes including the 5.4-liter triton, and in several vehicle models including Ford, Expedition, Explorer, Super Duty Mustang, and Lincoln Mountaineer.
Each component of these coils either matches or exceeds the OE standards. They have highly conductive coil windings, corrosion and temperature resistant connectors, durable straight boots that help prevent moisture creeping in, and durable shock-resistant housing to boot.
All in all, you get superior performance and reliability, with the ability to work throughout the entire engine speed range of the vehicle, and under any weather conditions.
What we really love about them is how they help to reduce several common ignition issues, including everything from misfires to premature catalytic converter failure. How convenient is that! They are also quite quick and easy to install.
We love that the coils come with a lifetime warranty – how reassuring is that!
Amazon occasionally has deals on this product – certainly worth a look.
|Straight boot coils|
|Exceeds OE standards|
|Reduces ignition issues|
- Ignition Coil Packs are engineered for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast and easy installation with superior performance and reliability
- Compatible with Ford 2006 2007 2008 Explorer 4.6L V8, 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 F150 5.4L V8, 2005 2006 2007 2008 Expedition 5.4L V8, 2005 2006 2007 2008 F250 5.4L 6.8L V8 V10, 2005 2006 2007 2008 F350 5.4L 6.8L V8 V10, 2005 2006 2007 2008 F450 F550 6.8L V10
- Compatible with Mercury 2006 2007 2008 Mountaineer 4.6L V8. Compatible with Lincoln 2005 2006 2007 2008 Navigator 5.4L V8 2006 2007 2008 Mark LT 5.4L V8
- Part Number: replacement for C1541 3L3Z12029BA-3L3E12A366CA 3L3Z12029BA 5C1584, DG-511, c1541, 5C1584, FD-508, UF-537, DG511 FD508 C1659, C1541, GN10182-5C1584-50082-FD508 C1541 C1659 UF537 DG511, 3L3Z12029BA-3L3E12A366CA, 3L3Z12029BA-3L3U12A366BB, E508, DG511, FD503, FD508, C1541, C1659, 5C1584, 3L3Z12029BA, 3L3U12A366BB, 3L3E12A366CA, 50082, 601000, 11054, DG-511, 3L3Z 12029 BA, 3L3U 12A366 BB, 3L3E 12A366
- Lifetime Warranty - Please use enter your vehicle in your Amazon Garage above to see if this part is compatible with your vehicle
6. Motovecor High-Performance High Energy Ignition Coil DG508 8 Pack
Here’s another great choice worthy of consideration, with really high performance.
They’re compatible with engines of different sizes including the 5.4-liter triton and in several vehicle models including a number of different Fords, Lincolns, and Mustangs. For a full list please refer to the product page with the retailer.
And again, they exceed OE standards in many ways and are far more durable than the OE specifications, thanks to their superior quality.
They feature top-grade components such as German imported high-performance copper wire, stainless springs, superior secondary windings, a magnetic steel core, and dielectric resin.
And they have great energy output, providing 15% more energy than your regular OE coils. But that’s not all. These beauties also eliminate hesitation and reduce misfires.
The warranty on these is excellent. So long as you retain the proof of purchase, you get a lifetime warranty. And if you’re not happy with them for any reason, you can get a no-hassle replacement or a refund.
|Exceeds OE standards|
|Superior quality & durability|
|15% more energy output|
|Reduces misfires & hesitation|
|Excellent after-sales service|
- 【Fit For Most of Ford】 F150 F250 F350 F450 E150 E250 E350 E450 Crown Econoline Excursion Expedition Explorer Mustang Thunderbird / Lincoln Navigator Town / Mercury Cougar / Grand Marquis / Mountaineer, Engineered specifically for 1998 to 2008 4.6L 5.4L and 6.8L Ford 2 valve modular engines.
- 【High Performance Ignition Coil】 Better acceleration a smoother idle and Improved fuel mileage, Delivers more torque quicker starts, Instant throttle response.
- OE Standard performance & durability TS16949 Certified Manufacturer, it has 15% more energy than OE coils.
- 【Compatible Part Numbers】DG457,DG47213062237, 1972290, 1L2U12029AA, 1L2U12A366AA, 1L2Z12029AA, 1L2Z12029AC, 21941483, 21941485, 21941505, 3W7Z12029AA, 71HM12300AA, 72HF12300AA, 75HF12300AA, 88921369, A780X12300HA, C409, C469, C471, D1FZ12300A, D1RY12300A, DC263, DC88, DCE258, DCE261, DCE263, DG467, DG473, DG481, DG491, DG508, E222, F523, F7TU12A336CB, F7TU12A366AB, F7TU12A366BA, F7TU12A366CC, F7TU12A366CD, F7TZ12029AB, F7TZ12029BA, F7TZ12029CA, F7TZ12029CB, F7TZ12029CC, FD493, FD503, FD79X
- 【5 Years Warranty with Proof or Purchase】We always looking for ways to improve our performance especilly the products' quality and customer service.If you're not satisfied, return them to us for a fast, no-hassle refund or product replacement.
7. Megaflint High-Performance Ignition Coil 8 Pack
Now, these are some great high-performance ignition coils. They’re designed for racing, and as such, they provide 15% more energy than your standard OE coils.
They are bestsellers with online retailers and come highly recommended by the people who’ve actually bought them and tried them.
They’re compatible with engines of different sizes including the 5.4-liter triton, and in several vehicle models including a number of different Fords, Lincolns, and Mustangs. For a full list please refer to the product page with the retailer.
They’re made with top-grade German copper wire, Silicone magnetic steel, and high temperature-resistant epoxy.
With these components you can rely on the ignition to start even in extreme conditions. They’re very corrosion, abrasion, and electric resistant, generating a strong spark from plugs when you need it.
Please note these ones feature curved boots and not straight ones, so please do check which type you need before you buy.
They come complete with 3-years limited manufacturer warranty, which is reassuring.
|Highest quality components|
|15% more energy than OE|
|Resistant and very durable|
|3-years limited warranty|
- DIRECT REPLACEMENT/ UPGRADE over your original stock coils. We only use the highest grade materials. This makes our product durable and reliable under extreme conditions while providing High Electrical Resistance, strong Spark from plugs, and being resistant to Corrosion and Abrasion
- IGNITION COIL PACK for, 4.6l 5.4l 6.8l, for Crown Victoria, for E-150, for E-250, for E-350, for Excursion, for Expedition, for Explorer, for F-150,for F-250,for F-250 Super Duty,for F-350 Super Duty,for F-450 Super Duty,for F-550 Super Duty,for F53,for Mustang,for F-150 Heritage,for E-250 Super Duty,for E-350 Super Duty,for E-450 Super Duty,for E-450 Econoline Super Duty,for E-550 Econoline Super Duty,for E-550 Super Duty, Blackwood,Navigator,for Town Car, Grand Marquis, Mountaineer, MV-1
- Top grade Silicone magnetic steel, German copper wire and high temperature epoxy.
- For FORD,For LINCOLN,For MERCURY, For VPG owners please check fitment bar and description before you BUY IT as the ignition coil pack can change based on the year/ month of manufacture of your vehicle
- OE level durability,100% New and high quality auto parts.3 Years Warranty !
As promised, here’s your buying guide! We’ll go through some of the key things to consider before you buy.
Knowing whether or not a coil pack is going to fit in your vehicle is half the battle. If your coil pack is not compatible or doesn’t fit, you’ll have wasted your money.
On some websites, you can check whether a coil is going to fit, by submitting deals such as the vehicle model and the engine type, etc.
The coil packs in our shortlist that we showed you earlier are for a 5.4 Triton engine and can be used in at least a dozen different car, van, and truck models, including the Ford F-Series, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles.
Coil packs are available with either straight or curved boots. You will need to determine which type you need. We showed both types in our shortlist earlier.
You should also note that the fit of an ignition coil pack can vary based on the year or even the month of the manufacture of your vehicle.
Ensuring you get a perfect fit is paramount. A perfectly fitting coil pack can help to reduce many common ignition problems.
Material quality should also be one of your foremost considerations. It needs to be very solid in order to hold the system in the intended position.
But that’s certainly not all. It has to be sufficiently durable to withstand any abrasion, any overheating, and any corrosion caused by friction. That’s a tall ask.
So, be sure to examine what it’s made from. In our product reviews, we were careful to include what material the pack was made from and its accompanying characteristics.
Meets or Exceeds OE Standards
OE stands for original equipment. All of the ignition coil packs in our top 5 picks are designed to meet or in many cases exceed the standards of the original equipment.
Output efficiency is THE key spec on coil packs. It’s basically a measure of voltage output. To get the engine up and running you need a high, powerful & strong voltage amplification.
Don’t be let down in this. A poor or delayed start-up can lead to serious damage to your vehicle’s engine.
To us, safety is a biggy. The last thing we’d want is any risk related to an engine spark.
To that end, it’s important to ensure that your coil pack is properly installed since this is where the most risk can arise.
Reduced Ignition Issues
Sometimes faulty coils can cause no end of ignition issues. But the good news is that some ignition coil packs can help to reduce many of these issues.
If this is of interest to you, and why wouldn’t it be, then don’t worry, several of the ignition coil packs in our top 5 picks have this feature. The brand ENA is particularly good for this.
When shopping for things such as ignition coils, we 100% recommend paying attention to any warranty offered.
Not necessarily because you’re likely to need it, but more because it’s a good sign of quality. As a general rule, the longer the warranty period, the more reliable the coil pack.
The cost of a coil pack for a 5.4 Triton can vary from as little as under $40 to as much as over $150.
Our advice is to check the prices as you go along, so you learn what you can get for your money, and decide if it’s worth it.
If you can’t decide what retailer to go with, we think Amazon is pretty good. You can filter the results so that it only brings up parts that will fit your vehicle.
Moreover, they’re great for checking out customer ratings and reviews – there are loads on there.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best ignition coil for Ford F150?
We believe that the best ignition coil pack for a Ford F150 is our number 5 pick, the ENA Pack of 8 Straight Boot Ignition Coils.
ENA is a great brand, very well established and popular. And we feel that coils with curved boots are a better fit in a Ford F150 than curved coils.
Which brand of ignition coil is the best?
We believe that the best brands of ignition coils are Bravex and ENA.
The Bravex brand is targeted toward racing vehicles, so with them, you can expect excellent reliability and performance.
What we love about the ENA brand is how their ignition coils are built with reliability in mind and are built to reduce all manner of common ignition issues including no/hard start, misfires, lack of power, long crank time, inconsistent transmission shifts, premature catalytic converter failure, spark plug fouling, and poor fuel economy.
Do coil packs increase horsepower?
Coil packs can increase the engine’s performance and improve mileage, but unfortunately, they do not help to increase the engine’s horsepower.
What are the symptoms of a coil pack going bad?
There are a number of different signs that a coil pack is going bad. The main symptoms include abnormal acceleration, sooner lighting of the engine, misfiring, and rough idling.